Jharkhand came into existence in the year of 2000 and shares its boarders with Bihar, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh, and Odisha. Paradox of Jharkhand is that it is endowed with huge natural and mineral resources, but still one of the most rural states of India. Potential of Jharkhand can be leveraged in the context of its contribution towards environmental & economical sustainability if there is a conscious and systematic effort towards it. This requires application of scientific principles along with community participation. Moreover, this is necessary to consider the socio-economic / socio-cognitive aspects of Jharkhand as it is primarily a tribal state and it has rich culture.
This has been observed that Jharkhand witnessed unprecedented changes in the landscape pattern after its separation from Bihar due to urbanization phenomenon. Moreover, it is necessary to highlight that Jharkhand is a mineral rich state and mining activities are significant in the state. Consequently, these aspects attract swarming of people into the state. Absence of effective framework for containing the possible randomness; cumulative effect of the aforementioned activities is paramount on sustainability prospects of the state. Exponential escalation in the numbers of urban clusters may easily be observed. Furthermore, this is also necessary to consider the pattern in which the state is evolving.
Evolution pattern of cities in Jharkhand is primarily in radially outwards direction in the context of urban expansion. This suggests the possibilities of significant increase in pressure in the context of increasing urban activities and urban population. As mentioned earlier, mining activities are also significant in the state. Therefore, this is necessary to assess the impact of mining activities on environment as well. Moreover, Santhal Pargana region of the state is primarily dominated by tribes, and has significant natural cover. Hence, their sustainable development is absolutely necessary for the welfare of state. This is necessary to assess the possible scenarios in Santhal pargana region in near future in the context of environmental and economic sustainability. Therefore, Leads Research Lab has identified issues which need to be addressed scientifically for assessing the sustainability of lives and livelihoods of people in the Santhal pargana region and the areas which are surrounded by mining areas.
Research Verticals in Jharkhand
Leads Research lab has been studying in the following directions:
- Construing the land system complexities of Jharkhand
- Deciphering the relationship between land system and ecosystem services in the context of Jharkhand topography.
- Assessment of environmental dynamics of Santhal Pargana region & the mining areas of state
- Assessment of the sustainability of lives and livelihoods of people in mining areas and Santhal Pargana region
- Development of an intelligent system using machine learning algorithms to predict the scenarios in the context of environmental sustainability of Santhal Pargana region.
Following are the proposed deliverables from this study are:
- A machine learning based predictive model to rank the districts of Santhal Pargana region in terms of their environmental sustainability for current and future scenarios.
- Analytical Dashboard for presenting the current and future scenarios of Santhal Pargana region and mining areas.
- ML based land subsidence model
Collaborations for this study:
LeadsConnect Services Pvt. Ltd has been in collaboration with the premiere institute of state, that is, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi for performing scientific study pertaining to different proposed research verticals.